The Electoral Commission has fined the Tory party £70,000 over election spending and referred their treasurer to the police. Here are the key points from the watchdog’s 38-page report.
1. It’s the biggest electoral watchdog fine in history
2. A Tory ‘national team’ WAS helping a local candidate – and this could prove crucial
3. The Tory Treasurer committed two offences
4. …And he has now been referred to police
5. The battle bus cost more than DOUBLE what was declared
6. …And DID campaign for local candidates
7. Most of the fine was for three by-elections
8. All this aside, another £100k was left off the paperwork
10. The Tories are slammed for unreasonable failure to co-operate
11. …And had to be threatened with court action!