Stop UK lies & corruption
Advertisements

Prosecutors to decide fate of Tory MP Chris Davies

Lately it feels as if many Tories are on a ‘virtual conveyor belt’ traveling through the criminal justice system.

Prosecutors will decide whether to bring criminal charges against Chris Davies, the MP for Brecon and Radnorshire.

Mr Davies has been questioned twice by police over allegations of a fraudulent expenses claim in 2016.

He maintains he made an “an honest mistake” by claiming for furniture and pictures for his constituency office.

A CPS spokesperson said: “We have received a file of evidence from the Metropolitan Police relating to alleged fraudulent expense claims and a decision will be made in due course.”

CPS must now decide if there is a realistic prospect of a conviction should they bring the case to trial.

Source  Backup

Tory fraud.png

Advertisements

Tory election fraud: Marion Little found guilty

Tory official Marion Little has been convicted of falsifying expenses in race against Farage.

At the same trial, the Conservative accountant MP Craig Mackinlay was cleared of breaking electoral spending laws when he fought to win the race against Farage, then Ukip leader, for the Kent seat of South Thanet.

Sentencing Little, the judge Mr Justice Edis accused Conservative party headquarters of “a culture of convenient self-deception” and “inadequate supervision” which allowed Little to break the law.

“Mrs Little acted dishonestly by preparing [election] returns she knew were not completed nor accurate,” he said. She has received a nine-month suspended sentence and fined £5,000.

Edis said Little falsified documents then presented them to Mackinlay and his election agent Nathan Gray for signing, which “they did so in good faith not knowing what she had done”.

The trial also discovered Little bought trainers for Sol Campbell and put them on expenses forcing the taxpayer to pick up the bill. 

Source  Backup

Tories found guilty.png

Marion Little sentenced

2018: A year of homeless deaths and misery under the Tories

The Bureau’s count of people who have died homeless in the UK since last winter has now passed 500 – days before the Office for National Statistics (ONS) is due to produce its first ever count of deaths.

Their year-long investigation, currently stands at 554 deaths, though that is likely an underestimate. Those that died include an 81 year-old man who was sleeping on the streets, a mum of two that died in a night shelter and a 47 year-old man who died after being tipped into a bin lorry!

The project prompted the ONS to start compiling its own figures on homeless deaths in England and Wales, which it will release on December 20. Scotland and Northern Ireland’s national records offices are now also considering similar counts.

In October the Tory government pledged to make sure deaths were investigated by local authorities so that lessons could be learned. The Bureau’s figures are “utterly shocking,” said Housing Secretary James Brokenshire, and “it is so important that we understand what has caused those deaths, [by] actually having serious case reviews.”

However the government has admitted since then that it has not actually offered any extra funding or support to councils to help them do this. The Bureau has found many local authorities are still failing to carry out such reviews, citing lack of resources or saying they do not believe the cases meet the relevant statutory requirements.

Read more

One of the first deaths they recorded in January was that of 81-year-old Alan Higginson. The octogenarian had been sleeping rough near a John Lewis shop in Norwich city centre. Alan died in hospital of natural causes. Despite an appeal by the police, no family members were found.

Later that same month, 47-year-old Russell Lane died from injuries he sustained when the bin he was sleeping in was tipped into a lorry. An inquest into his death has been postponed.

In February, Polish-born Henrik Bartlomiej was found in Watford outside the tent he slept in. Chief executive of local charity New Hope, Matthew Heasman, said: “We were shocked and saddened to learn of Bart’s death, he is missed dearly by both service users and staff. It’s devastating for someone to lose their life so young because of rough sleeping.” An inquest found he had died from acute alcohol toxicity.

A spell of very cold weather labelled “the Beast from the East” stretched into March, and homeless deaths continued. The weather forced former quantum physicist Hamid Farahi, who had fled the Iraq war, out of the car he lived in and into emergency shelter in a local hotel, where he died.

Martin Dines, 56, died in April after suffering a prolonged physical attack during which he sustained more than 70 injuries. His body was found in a stairwell. Two men were convicted of murder and a woman was convicted of manslaughter.

Mother of two Anna Raynes died in May aged 28. She had spent the night in a shelter after sleeping rough in Bristol and Bath. She was described as “a very kind person” and “the most amazing mum.”

In June, Tracey Patsalides’ body was found in a beach shelter in King Edward’s Parade, Eastbourne. A man was later convicted of her manslaughter. Friends and well-wishers left tributes at the spot but were saddened to see them cleared away by street-cleaners. Her friend described her as “a lovely lady” saying: “She used to light up a room when she walked in, she’d have a smile on her face.”

Homeless deaths 1.png

Big Issue seller Fabian Bayet – known as “the Belgian Waffle” for his ability to tell a good story – died in July at the age of 48. He was much loved in the Midlands town of Stony Stratford and in late November a portrait of Fabian was unveiled on the town’s high street.

Kawal Singh, 61, came to the UK from India. He lost his job and ended up rough sleeping for nine years in the Ilford area. He repeatedly asked authorities to return him to his family in India without success, according to a friend. He died on the entrance steps of Redbridge Council in August.

Thirty-two year old Michael Cash, described as a “gentle soul” by his aunt, was found dead in a Middlesborough cemetery in September. Days earlier, a local man Aaron Jones had sprayed red paint over him using a water pistol. The story shocked the country and Jones was later convicted of common assault and criminal damage.

October brought the death of Craig Cunningham, who was also known as “Blakey” and was much loved. He was in his early 40s when he died in hospital. A friend said: “He was always pleasant, always good mannered and always very smiley.” A local charity worker said: “We will all miss him dreadfully, words can’t explain the pain we feel when this happens.” A fellow rough sleeper told local media Craig used to manage a Kwiksave supermarket branch before falling on hard times.

In November, Joanne Jones 44, became the second person to die in a homeless hostel in Bath in just one week. Workers at the shelter described her death as a “tragedy”.

Earlier this month Lee Jenkinson died in hospital with family members at his bedside. He had been sleeping rough in Leeds, despite having a council flat. Charity Simon on the Streets said: “He was a lovely man, well known to services and the public alike. RIP.”

homeless deaths in 2018.png

Remembering the dead

Across the country, people have been coming together to mark the deaths and make sure they are remembered.

In London, an annual memorial service at St Martin in the Fields in November heard the names of 170 people that had died homeless in the area last year. In Long Eaton, local campaigners have created a memorial stone with the number of those that have died, while in Manchester a candle lit vigil was held last week.

Jacob Quagliozzi is director of Housing Justice, the charity that organises the annual memorial in St Martin in the Fields. “Each person we remember at that service and those the Bureau has documented have their own story and represents a failure of public policy,” he said. “No one should die on the street in Britain in 2018.”

Source   Backup

Poll: Does Chris Grayling deserve a payrise?

Grayling's payrise vote.png

Vote now

Fifth of Shropshire disabled have seen benefits halted

If you’re a disabled person living in Shropshire you may want to think twice when voting because all your MPs are Tories.

More than a fifth of claimants have had their disability benefits stopped under a new system, new figures have revealed.

Almost a quarter of people in Shropshire have lost out on support, and nearly a fifth in Telford & Wrekin and Powys.

In Shropshire, 24 per cent of claimants failed the assessment for PIP, while 23 per cent failed in Powys and 20 per cent in Telford.

Charity Scope said that many disabled people are “losing out on vital support” under the new system, which it says is beset with problems.

None of the Tory Shropshire MPs had anything to say about it.

A spokesperson said: “It is deeply worrying that so many disabled people are losing out on vital support when being reassessed for PIP.

“The entire system needs to be much more focused on the needs of the individual.

“With record levels of appeals against decisions successful, the whole decision making process is beset with problems.”

Source

Tory MPs in Shropshire.png

Laughing all the way: Tory MPs Lucy Allan, Philip Dunne, Daniel Kawczynski, Mark Pritchard, Owen Paterson

 

Another call for cumulative impact assessment of changes to disability support

Debbie Abrahams again calls for a cumulative impact assessment of changes to disability support.


Held on 19th December 2018 from 7:04pm to 9:32pm.

Hansard text

Ben Baddeley’s Christmas Appeal to walk again as Tories ignore him

“Ben is 14 and has cerebral palsy. He’s dislocated his right knee cap causing damage to the ligament that holds his knee in place. As a result his knee it’s now loose, moves from side to side and is very painful.

As Ben doesn’t have the full use of his knee along with considerable muscle wastage from the trauma, his right leg & foot now twist inwards crossing over his left foot when he tries to walk massively hindering his mobility & tripping himself up!

 

Ben now needs a surgical procedure on his damaged ligament so that he can walk again but it’s not funded on the NHS & so we have to raise the funds to pay privately.

Ben has a long standing appeal for treatment with the NHS. He needs crucial treatment whilst he grows but it’s no longer available due to funding cuts.

This leaves us to pick up medical bills of approximately £2000 every month.

Without treatment Ben’s muscles & nerves cant develop correctly as he grows meaning he suffers pain on a daily basis.

Ben’s knee dislocation is just one example of the effects of lack of treatment as we struggle to fund it.

In his own words…

My name is Ben Baddeley, i am 14 & i have cerebral palsy.
I have dislocated my knee cap & need a procedure intense rehab physio so that i can walk again. But the NHS do not fund this procedure or treatment so i have to fundraise to pay for it myself privately.

Please can people share and publish my plight for treatment to be pain free for Christmas.

Thank you to anyone & everyone who shares this for me.

Ben – #TeamBen
gofundme.com/benbaddeley

20181219_190301